Calling all young African leaders. Exciting exchange programme applications now open
The Young African Leaders Initiative’s (YALI) Mandela Washington Fellowship is an exciting exchange programme which invites 500 young African leaders to study at a United States university for six weeks and attend a presidential summit hosted by President Obama in July 2015. Applications are open now until 5 November 2014.
Follow-on opportunities for Fellows include internships, over $1 million in seed funding, and connections with mentors upon their return to Africa. All participants must submit their own applications online at http://yali.state.gov
Requirements for application
- Applicants must be a citizen of and reside in a sub-Saharan African country.
- Persons holding U.S. citizenship or U.S. permanent residency are not eligible.
- Speak, read, and write proficiently in English.
- Be between 25-35 years of age at the time of application submission, although exceptional candidates younger than 25 will be considered.
- Have a proven record of leadership and accomplishment in public service, business or entrepreneurship, or civic engagement.
- Demonstrate a commitment to public or community service, volunteerism, or mentorship.
- Be committed to return to Africa and contribute their skills and talents to build and serve their communities.
For more information